Friday, January 26, 2007

Age and Empire


Empire State
Originally uploaded by boroughsix.
I turn 27 today. I don't think I've ever had a real birthday while I had a real job, so i chose to go the subdued route, i only told a couple people who i would consider friends, and the other people here (casual acquaintences) i hadn't told, and maybe even went out of my way to not tell. But I arrived here today dressed to the nines as per Heather's command because she has a surprise for me later on today...and the minute i sit down i get phone call from my friend Hart in AZ, to which i would have been overheard to exclaim, 'thank you, yes thank you, no i'm 27, thank you.' So had anyone i had NOT told overheard me, they might surmise that something was up.

Then Blair called me, and as i clumsily fumbled with my phone, i accidentally hit the speaker phone button, a button i didnt know the location of to turn off, and so her booming voice came through the speaker...

BLAIR
'hi happy birthday!'

NICK
'wait, i cant, i hit the speaker phone'

BLAIR
'get me off speaker phone!'

NICK
'i can't, i am trying!'

BLAIR
'happy birthday!'

NICK
'shut up!!!'

JASON, in cubicle next to me
'BUSTED! happy birthday to you!'

NICK
'blair, i'll call you back.'

No comments: