Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Last Day, Birthday, Independece Day Extravaganza!



Last Friday was Heather’s birthday, and the gifts I gave her over the course of our mini vacation will remain a private affair between we two. But suffice it to say that I had wanted to make this weekend our best in a long time. Because of the peculiar way in which the Fourth played with the calendar, we had a 4.5-DAY weekend, and so were able to celebrate Heather’s last day of teaching, her birthday, my impending full-time status at work, Independence Day, and most of all, our engagement, all in one big extravaganza.

I had many ideas as to how to propose; one involved a suite at the Plaza, one involved a picnic and a kite, but really I knew that she would just like a simple, private, organic experience and so after work on Friday (it was a half day) we got some sandwiches and took a cab to the boat house in Central Park.

We rented a little row boat for two, and I rowed us here and there until I found the perfect spot. We finished our lunch and I read to her a letter I had written for her birthday. The letter purported to be a salute to the idiosyncrasies I adore in her, though in reality it was a preamble to a question I have wanted to ask her for some time.

You can see the red dot on the picture here which marks the secluded alcove wherein I surprised her with the ring my father gave to my mother 30 years ago asking the same question, “Will you marry me?’

And so we are engaged, and life is just beginning!

6 comments:

Shayna said...

ok so it looks like i jumped the gun and should have saved my congrats for a more appropriate post..sorry.

so can i list you as "Engager, New York" in my links?

Jill O. said...

That's pretty cool, Nick. Well done. I remember sitting in a little deli in Brookline about 2 years ago talking about how you know it's right. I'm glad it is for you two - there's nothing like finding the person who makes you better as a team than you are on your own. Heavy, celebratory drinking is in order.

Anonymous said...

All i can say is, I got a shotgun and a shovel if anything goes wrong. :) CONGRATULATIONS!!! Steph

The D Man said...

word

Anonymous said...

All you need to know is: if you break her heart, I'll break your legs:) Just joking Nick, I'll be honored to call you Brother soon, Joel

Blair Brown said...

Congrats!!